- There are two sorts of weather in Singapore: hot and humid, and hot and humid with occasion showers.
- One Singapore dollar (SGD 1) equals USD 0.60 or EUR 0.50.
- The population is 4 million.
- The time difference with Riga (EET or Eastern European Time) is 6 hours.
- Singapore is the perfect city for long walks. This pastime has even been turned into a tourist attraction. The best routes can be found at www.singaporewalks.com.
- Singapore boasts the best organised underground railway (Mass Rapid Transit or MRT) in the world. There are no tickets in the traditional sense of the word, just a plastic card that can be bought electronically and justifies the reputation of an outstandingly clean city that Singapore is so proud of. Upon the purchase of the card the ticket machine deducts a deposit of SGD 1; you can retrieve it at your destination by returning the card to a ticket machine. As soon as it has swallowed it, out pops your SGD 1. No "civilisation waste", so to speak. Ah, yes, by the way, take care and don't catch cold: thanks to the air conditioning it's quite chilly underground.
- No traffic jams and no stress. You can get from the city centre to the airport in twenty minutes or so. And you will experience a certain culture shock when you find out that there are no queues. And, most importantly, there are lots to occupy yourself with - two watch shops among other things. If you are lucky enough to happen upon a sales campaign, a Longines or Cartier watch can be yours for a price much more pleasant than the one you would pay in Europe.