DESTINATIONS CULTURE AGENDA CONNOISSEUR'S GUIDE ALTERNATE ROUTES INSIDER'S VIEW SHOP PHOTO GALLERIES

CHOOSE DESTINATION

Venice

EssenceMuseums and galleries· Museums· Galleries· Churches· TheatresWhere to sleepWhere to eatWhere to shopWorth knowingConnoisseur's GuideInsider's view

CHOOSE OBJECT

Punta della DoganaPeggy Guggenheim CollectionThe Venice BiennalePalazzo Grassi« BACK « TO BEGINNING

RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER

Add your e-mail address to receive our monthly news.

WE RECOMMEND:

Jewellery by Artists: From Picasso to Koons, an exhibition organised by the culture and art portal Arterritory.com

Destinations · Europe · italy · Venice · Museums and galleries · Museums

Palazzo Grassi

Author: Anothertravelguide.com0 COMMENTS

Palazzo Grassi

Palazzo Grassi has recently been one of the most talked about museums. Its patron and largest shareholder (80 %, the remaining 20 % being state property) is François Pinault, the boss of the Pinault-Printemps-La Redoute (Gucci, Botega Veneta etc.) French luxury holding company and one of the most influential modern art collectors in France. Palazzo Grassi opened its door in late April 2006 after five months of reconstruction work.
In 1983 the 18th century Venetian palazzo that has, during the two hundred years of its history, been owned by opera singers and manufacturers and served as a hotel and a costume storehouse, became the property of the Fiat carmaker dynasty. It had been used as an exhibition hall since the late 1970s, and during the Fiat years it was also the home of several serious art projects. Finally, due to financial pressure, Fiat decided to sell the building.
François Pinault bought Palazzo Grassi for EUR 29 million, thereby fulfilling his - the third richest Frenchman's - dream of a lifetime: to find a worthy home for his impressive collection of contemporary art (some 200 items). The reconstruction design was created by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando; the interior alone is an experience in itself - an artificially built-in ascetically minimalist white "box" like a bizarre lining for the 18th century Venetian palazzo. Here and there the old door openings or plafonds are revealed.
The museum opened with an extensive exhibition from Pinault's private collection including works by Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock, Gauguin, Modigliani, Andy Warhol, Damien Hirst, Cindy Sherman and Jeff Koons among other artists.

San Samuele 3231

Open daily 10 am - 7 pm.

www.palazzograssi.it

SHARE:
Facebook Twitter

 

Your comments

Unfortunately there are no comments yet.

Your name:

Time of visit:

Your comment: